Before I decided which varieties of vegetables to plant in our new veggie garden, I spent a little time last week researching the best garden vegetables for my particular hardiness zone of 7a. Interestingly enough, this year our hardiness zone moved up slightly.
Based on these suggestions – http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1386/HLA-6032web.pdf – here are the vegetable seeds I ordered.
- Cucumbers – Straight Eight
- Beets – Detroit Dark Red, Medium Top
- Lettuces – Baby Leaf Mix and Buttercrunch
- Carrots – Danvers Half Long
- Beans (Pole) – Kentucky Blue
- Beans (Bush) – Bush Blue Lake 47
- Peas – Super Snappy
- Cantaloupe – Burpee’s Ambrosia Hybrid
- Sweet Corn – Silver Queen and Early Sunglow
I was hoping that we were going to completely skip Winter this year, but unfortunately Mother Nature had other ideas and colder weather has set in for a couple of weeks. It’s ok though…gives me more time to drool over gardens like these I found on Pinterest.
P.S. If you are interested in starting a veggie garden, here are a few links I found especially helpful.